J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College partnered with Paskill Stapleton & Lord in April 2011 to conduct a Recruitment and Marketing Assessment. Specifically, the College was looking to review its marketing, public relations, communications and recruitment efforts as they related to building the necessary capacity within the College to successfully implement an aggressive strategic enrollment growth initiative.
Founded in 1972, JSRCC is Virginia’s newest community college and the third largest in the Virginia Community College System. The College enrolls close to 20,000 students annually in credit coursework. In recent years, applications to the College have steadily increased; however, the College has also experienced a decline in yield for new first-time applicants.
To address this decline as well as the strategic enrollment growth initiative, we asked the following questions:
- How can marketing efforts help support a positive impact on overall enrollment?
- Specifically, what can marketing do to help increase yield?
- How can the marketing staff work with outreach, enrollment, faculty and academic programs to address the strategic enrollment growth goals for the College?
- What recruitment activities and communications will support the work of marketing?
- How do communications, recruitment and marketing efforts integrate seamlessly across the College?
- What are the considerations of this integration to current staffing and other roles throughout the College?
The observations and recommendations in our final report supported a more aggressive, proactive, message-based marketing and outreach program that shares the J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College message with schools, community, businesses and civic organizations.
We also provided recommendations to address recruiting key target audiences, how to become a choice institution, how to enhance the website site and publications.
Elizabeth Littlefield, VP for Institutional Advancement, said, “The Recruitment and Marketing Assessment report served as a road map for J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College’s marketing office. We have implemented many of the recommendations and continue to utilize the assessment to assist in successfully reaching our marketing goals.”
- Advertising (16)
- Media (6)
- Campus Tours (3)
- College Bound (21)
- Consulting & Planning (77)
- Enrollment Management (80)
- Fun Stuff (52)
- General (107)
- Higher-Ed Marketing (38)
- Market Research (32)
- Publications (13)
- Staff Development (50)
- Uncategorized (88)
- Video/Radio/Flash (6)
- Web (35)
- What Not To Do (14)